Thursday 3 March 2011

Cait Jewellery. A/W11/12 Look-book and Interview by Hannah Ramsay.


When I spied these new images by Matt Ford for Cait Jewellery, I got more than a little bit excited by the fabulous statement necklace I spotted first. I caught up with Kate, the talented lady behind the brand to talk Sex and the City, stand out women, and find out her plans for the future…

Picture of Kate taken behind the scenes at the shoot. 

Sat at her desk doodling  unique statement jewellery that she wanted to wear, but couldn’t find, Kate saw an opportunity to use her creativity and fill that gap in the market. “I ordered some beads and started to make my designs and it happened from there” she says. “Making jewellery is now my passion.”
Completely unique, Cait Jewellery offers handmade, statement costume jewellery to make you stand out from the crowd, but Kate assures me it’s not just limited to red carpet looks, “You can wear one of our statement necklaces with a vest, skinny jeans and pumps in the day and look effortlessly cool or glam it up for a night out with killer heels and an LBD.” So who are Kate’s personal style icons? “I don’t particularly have a style icon but there are lots of people that I draw inspiration from. I love the chic city style of Blake Lively, Whitney Port and especially Sarah Jessica Parker.” I get the impression Kate herself prefers to be individual and I think it’s safe to say she admires anyone is isn’t scared to try new looks and stand out from the crowd. “At the moment I’m loving Rihanna and her bold fashion statement” she adds.
After a SS10 collection inspired by the South beach in vivid fuschias and warm golds, it’s her AW11 collection that she recently shot with top Liverpool fashion photographer, Matt Ford.  “My inspiration for this collection came  from Midnight city skylines, the twinkling lights and colours, especially those of New York” she explained. But is there any link to the independent women she admires? “Yes, defintely” she says, “I was very inspired by strong city women and their fearless fashion.” I’m interested then as to which stylish celeb Kate would love to see her jewellery on… RhiRhi perhaps? Mybe SJP? Or the stylish ladies of Gossip Girl?
The answer? All of the above. “I’d love to see my jewellery on an episode of Gossip Girl or in a Sex and the City  movie. I love the mixture of downtown city girl and high glamour and I think Cait Jewellery would be right at home.
If that mixture is transferrable to Liverpool, it’s already at home. Cait bracelets can regularly be seen stacked on the arms of the famous Cricket boutique’s stylish staff and featured in the city’s design festival last year. The icing on the cake was a mention in Elle magazine in January of this year.
For a young company, it sounds like Cait Jewellery is well on it’s way to fame and stardom. And with all this under her belt already, what are Kate’s plans for the future? “Our aim is to be stocked in some of the larger UK luxury retailers, having Cait Jewellery sat next to respected designers like Lanvin and Stella McCartney would be amazing.” Eventually  Kate wants the brand to go international, “and get the word out there that Cait Jewellery rocks!”
From what I’ve seen that doesn’t appear to be too much to ask. If else fails, she’ll definitely have one cult follower in me, being the statement necklace lover I am. So Liverpool ladies, grab a piece of Cait now and say you were a lover right from the beginning.










Hair and Make-up Hannah Ellen.